[Forschungsseminar-BSV] Forschungsseminar Computergrafik, Bildverarbeitung und Visualisierung

Christian Heine heine at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Mon Jan 12 14:16:45 MEZ 2009

E I N L A D U N G

S O N D E R T E R M I N

zum Forschungsseminar Computergrafik, Bildverarbeitung und
Visualisierung am Mittwoch den 2009-01-14, 16:00 Uhr, Raum 1-43 in
der Johannisgasse 26.

Wir hören einen Vortrag von

    Alexander Wiebel
    Universität Leipzig

mit dem Titel

    "Topological Flow Structures in a Mathematical
    Model for Rotation-Mediated Cell Aggregation"

Zum Inhalt:

In this talk we apply vector field topology methods to a
mathematical model for the fluid dynamics of reaggregation
processes in tissue engineering. The experimental background are
dispersed embryonic retinal cells, which reaggregate in a rotation
culture on a gyratory shaker, according to defined rotation and
culture conditions. Under optimal conditions, finally complex 3D
spheres result. In order to optimize high throughput drug testing
systems of biological cell and tissue models, a major aim is to
understand the role which the fluid dynamics play in this process.
To allow for a mathematical analysis, an experimental model system
was set up, using micro-beads instead of spheres within the culture
dish. The qualitative behavior of this artificial model was
monitored in time by using a camera. For this experimental setup a
mathematical model for the bead-fluid dynamics was derived,
analyzed and simulated. The simulations showed that the beads form
distinctive clusters in a layer close to the bottom of the petri
dish. To analyze these patterns further, we perform a topological
analysis of the velocity field within this layer of the fluid. We
find that traditional two-dimensional visualization techniques like
path lines, streak lines and current time-dependent topology
approaches are not able to answer the posed questions. We discuss
the problems of these techniques and develop a new approach that
measures the density of advected particles in the flow to find the
moving point of particle aggregation. Using the density field the
path of the moving aggregation point is extracted.

Der Vortrag wird in Deutsch gehalten.

Weitere Informationen zum Forschungsseminar sind auf der Webseite
http://www.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/bsv/bsvneu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=117&Itemid=111
zu finden.

Alle Interessierten sind im Namen von Prof. Dr. Scheuermann herzlich
eingeladen.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Christian Heine