[Forschungsseminar-BSV] Forschungsseminar Computergrafik, Bildverarbeitung und Visualisierung

Patrick Oesterling oesterling at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Fr Nov 8 14:16:49 CET 2013

I N V I T A T I O N

to the Research Seminar 'Computer Graphics, Image Processing and
Visualization' on Wednesday, November 13th, 2013, at 1:15 PM, in Room
P-701 in the Paulinum, Augustusplatz.

The talk is given by

Ala Abuthawabeh
University of Kaiserslautern

and is entitled

"Finding Structures in Multi-Type Code Coupling with Node-Link and
Matrix Visualizations"

Abstract:

Software systems are often modeled and visualized as graphs in order to
understand their higher-level structure: code entities are connected by
dependencies or couplings. However, when only considering one type of
code coupling such as method calls, the understanding gained stays
limited to this specific aspect. Encoding multiple types of code
coupling in the graph promises to broaden the understanding. Different
approaches already exist for visually discerning those types in graph
diagrams. In this paper, we study two of these techniques— a node-link
and a matrix approach—in a realistic scenario where the classes and
interfaces of a system are connected by six different types of code
coupling. The explorative user study that we conducted with interactive
versions of the two visualizations focuses on getting an insight on how
software developers use the visualizations for understanding an unknown
system. We classified typical visual structures that the participants
were able to identify and connected these structures to software
engineering problems. Despite the fundamental difference in approach,
the participants identified the same graph structures targeting similar
tasks with both visualizations.

On behalf of Professor Scheuermann all those interested are cordially
invited to attend.

Yours sincerely,
Patrick Oesterling