[Forschungsseminar-BSV] Research Seminar 'Computer Graphics, Image Processing, and Visualization'

Tom Liebmann liebmann at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Fr Mai 8 09:40:56 CEST 2015

  I N V I T A T I O N

to the Research Seminar 'Computer Graphics, Image Processing, and
Visualization'

     on Tuesday, May 13th, 2015, at 1:15 PM,
     in Room P-701 in the Paulinum, Augustusplatz.

The first talk is given by

     Sebastian Volke
     Image and Signal Processing Group
     Institute of Computer Science
     Leipzig University

and is entitled

     "Visualizing Topological Properties of the Search Landscape of
Combinatorial Optimization Problems"

Abstract:

     Discrete combinatorial optimization problems such as the Traveling
Salesman
     Problem have various applications in science and in everyday life. The
     complexity of the problem and the effectiveness of search
algorithms depend not
     only on the problem itself but also on the search operator in use.
Therefore,
     investigating search operators and the search landscapes they give
rise to is
     an important field of research. However, a full topological
analysis of the
     landscapes is impossible due to their exponentially growing size.

     We propose an analysis method and a visualization system that gives
a visual
     intuition about topological properties of the search landscape. We
obtain
     representative samples of the search landscape and its optima by random
     sampling and by computing the related optima using local search. The
     distribution and the correlation of this data within the search
landscape is
     visualized with a combination of one and two dimensional
visualizations. Using
     the TSP as an example we illustrate how the visualization supports the
     understanding and comparison of search landscapes and their complexity.

The second talk is given by

     Stefan Koch
     Image and Signal Processing Group
     Institute of Computer Science
     Leipzig University

and is entitled

"Comparing Finite-Time Lyapunov Exponents in Approximated Vector Field"

Abstract:

     In the context of fluid mechanics, larger and larger flow fields
arise. The
     analysis of such fields on current work stations is heavily
restricted by
     memory. Approximation limits this problem.

     In this paper, we discuss the impact of vector field approximation on
     visualization techniques on the example of Finite-Time Lyapunov
Exponent (FTLE)
     computations. Thereby, we consider the results of three different
vector field
     compression approaches and analyze the reliability of integration
results as
     well as their impact on two different FTLE variants.

On behalf of Professor Scheuermann all those interested are cordially
invited to attend.

Yours sincerely,

Tom Liebmann