[Forschungsseminar-BSV] Talk (Oct 6, 1pm): On the computation of the Euler characteristic

Ulf-Dietrich Braumann braumann at izbi.uni-leipzig.de
Mi Sep 30 20:51:58 CEST 2015

Dear all,

I am glad to invite you for an upcoming talk on the computation of the
Euler characteristic, a certain topological invariant:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler_characteristic

We will have two Mexican guests giving a shared talk on this issue, in
particular focusing on direct applications on digital images 2-D/3-D.
Respective methods can be utilised for (but of course are not limited to)
the morphometry of tissues in microscopy images. For abstracts please see
below. Hope to see you there next tuesday early afternoon - UDBraumann

On the computation of the Euler characteristic

Thursday, Oct 6, 1pm, Interdisciplinary Centre for Bioinformatics (IZBI),
University Leipzig, Seminarroom 109, Härtelstraße 16-18, 04107 Leipzig

http://www.izbi.uni-leipzig.de/englisch/akt/Veranstaltungen/aktuell.php?group=aktuell&lvl=1

Part I

Prof. Dr. Juan Humberto Sossa Azuela
http://www.cic.ipn.mx/posgrados/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=196&Itemid=300&nip=25

Laboratorio de Robótica y Mecatrónica, Centro de Investigación en
Computación, Instituto Politécnico Nacional, Ciudad de México

In this talk I first talk about some important topological features (TF)
of a binary image. After that, I describe how these TF are classically
computed. Then, I talk about our work in progress in this direction.
Finally, I conclude and describe some avenues for further research.

Part II

Dr. Hermilo Sánchez Cruz
http://dcc.ia.ccbas.uaa.mx/phdhermilo

Departamento de Ciencias de la Computación, Centro de Ciencias Basicas,
Universidad Autónoma de Aguascalientes, México

This talk deals with looking for relationships between Euler
characteristic and chain codes. We found that Euler characteristic can be
simplified on the basis of only one symbol. By using this symbol we also
intend to develop a rapid method for corner point detection, without
changing the topology of objects.