[Forschungsseminar-BSV] Research Seminar 'Computer Graphics, Image Processing, and Visualization'

Tom Liebmann liebmann at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Di Jun 21 07:30:24 CEST 2016

I N V I T A T I O N

to the Research Seminar 'Computer Graphics, Image Processing, and
Visualization'

     onWednesday, June 22nd, 2016, at 1:15 PM,
     in Room P-701 in the Paulinum, Augustusplatz.

A talk is given by

     Dr. Mike Sips
     Helmholtz Centre Potsdam
     GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences

and is entitled

     "Toward a scientific method for the development of Visual Analytics
approaches"

Abstract:

     Visual Analytics (VA) approaches are highly-specialized goal-oriented
     exploration tools helping scientists to understand important processes;
     e.g., operating within the complex system Earth. Trying to develop VA
     approaches without a well-considered scientific method often leads
to poor
     solutions. Furthermore, it requires unnecessary long R&D times
because of
     many revisions.

     The goal of my research is to devise a method for the development of VA
     approaches based on our existing approaches and experiences at the
German
     Research Center for Geosciences GFZ. To devise this method, I start
from
     the following four principles:
     a) the method is atomistic: the bases of the method are four basic
building
         blocks chosen to be simple as possible
     b) the method describes the combinatory structure of the building
blocks:
         it provides rules for combining the basic building blocks in a
precise
         and systematic manner
     c) the method is quality-oriented: it provides useful quality
criteria to
         the asses quality of current VA solutions and
     d) the method is realistic: it captures the crucial characteristics
of VA
         in real-world scientific scenarios.

     In my talk, I will outline the method at an abstract level
reflecting my
     current thoughts. I am interested in starting a discussion on the
method
     itself and to get feedback and comments on my ideas.

On behalf of Professor Scheuermann all those interested are cordially
invited to attend.

Yours sincerely,
Tom Liebmann