[Forschungsseminar-BSV] Research Seminar 'Computer Graphics, Image Processing, and Visualization'

Tom Liebmann liebmann at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Do Mai 26 09:10:47 CEST 2016

A T T E N T I O N: Please note that day and room differ from our normal
schedule.

I N V I T A T I O N

to the Research Seminar 'Computer Graphics, Image Processing, and
Visualization'

     onMonday, May 30th, 2016, at 1:15 PM,
     in Room P-702 in the Paulinum, Augustusplatz.

We will be hearing a total of three talks.

Two of them are given by

     Roxana Bujack
     Computer Graphics and HCI Group
     University of Kaiserslautern.

The first talk is entitled

     "Analysis of Error in Interpolation-Based Pathline Tracing".

Abstract:

     Chandler et al. presented interpolation-based pathline tracing as an
     alternative method to numerical integration for advecting tracers in
     particle-based flow fields. Through their experiments, they showed
that an
     interpolation-based method has lower error than a numerical
     integration-based method for particle tracing. In this paper we seek to
     understand the sources of the error in interpolation-based pathline
     tracing.
     We present a formal analysis of the theoretical bound on the error when
     advecting pathlines using this method. Additionally, we
characterize the
     error in experimental data sets using characteristics of the flow field
     such as neighborhood change, flow divergence, and length of the
reference
     pathline.
     Understanding the sources of error in an advection method is
important to
     know where there may be uncertainty in the resulting analysis. We
find that
     for interpolation-based pathline tracing the error is most closely
related
     to the divergence in the flow field.

The second talk is entitled

     "Strategic Initiatives for Flow Visualization in Environmental
Sciences".

Abstract:

     Flow plays a big role in the environmental sciences, but there are
major
     differences between theoretically available and practically applied
     visualization techniques.
     This paper surveys various techniques in computational and
environmental
     flow visualization, identifies challenges, and suggests strategic
     initiatives on how to bridge the gap.

The third talk is given by

     Tom Liebmann
     Image and Signal Processing Group
     Leipzig University

Abstract:

     Simulations and measurements often result in scalar fields with
uncertainty
     due to errors or output sensitivity estimates. Methods for analyzing
     topological features of such fields usually are not capable of
handling all
     aspects of the data. They either are not deterministic due to using
Monte
     Carlo approaches, approximate the data with confidence intervals,
or miss
     out on incorporating important properties, such as correlation. In this
     paper, we focus on the analysis of critical points of
Gaussian-distributed
     scalar fields. We introduce methods to deterministically extract
critical
     points, approximate their probability with high precision, and even
capture
     relations between them resulting in an abstract graph representation.
     Unlike many other methods, we incorporate all information contained
in the
     data including global correlation. Our work therefore is a first step
     towards a reliable and complete description of topological features of
     Gaussian-distributed scalar fields.

On behalf of Professor Scheuermann all those interested are cordially
invited to attend.

Yours sincerely,
Tom Liebmann