[Forschungsseminar-BSV] Research Seminar 'Computer Graphics, Image Processing, and Visualization'

Tom Liebmann liebmann at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Mo Mai 29 11:53:39 CEST 2017

I N V I T A T I O N

to the Research Seminar 'Computer Graphics, Image Processing, and Visualization'

    on Thursday, June 1st, 2017, at 1:15 PM,
    in Room P-702 in the Paulinum, Augustusplatz.

There will be two talks. The first one is given by

    Pascal Nardini
    Image and Signal Processing Group
    Department of Computer Science
    Leipzig University

and is entitled

    "Visual Study of the Benguela Upwelling System using Pathline Predicates".

Abstract:

    Due to the nutrient-rich water transported to the upper layer of the ocean,
    coastal upwelling systems are regions especially important for marine life
    and fishery. In this work, we focus on a visual analysis of the
    spatio-temporal structure of the Benguela upwelling system using pathline
    predicates. Based on the 3D flow field from an ocean model simulation, we
    first derive space-filling trajectories covering the full model grid. From
    these, we select and visualize pathlines related to upwelling. In a second
    step, we derive a 3D scalar field representing the pathline density, which
    is visualized using volume rendering techniques. Further analyses of the
    pathlines show a distinct annual cycle in the upwelling activity, which
    fits well to observation-based analyses found in literature.

The second talk is given by

    Felix Raith
    Image and Signal Processing Group
    Department of Computer Science
    Leipzig University

and is entitled

    "Visual Eddy Analysis of the Agulhas Current".

Abstract:

    Large mesoscale eddies in the ocean can transport a substantial amount of
    heat and salt over large distances. Using high-resolution ICON ocean
    simulation data, it is possible to detect and track eddies in the ocean and
    analyze their pathway. In this paper, we focus on the area of the Agulhas
    Current at the southern tip of Africa and present our results for eddy
    detection and eddy tracking. The Agulhas Current transports warm and salty
    water from the Indian Ocean towards the South Atlantic Ocean before it
    makes a strong turn back into the Indian Ocean. Some eddies associated with
    this current do not follow this turn back into the Indian Ocean, but travel
    north-west deeper up the Atlantic. We show how such eddies can be detected
    and tracked in the ICON model and how far some of them travel over the
    duration of one year. We also indicate which types of eddies follow these
    paths and give a visual analysis of eddy properties like volume and
    temperature.