[NLP2RDF] NIF + SADI (The Semantic Automated Discovery and Integration)

Artjom Klein artjom.unb at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 21:39:15 CEST 2012

I would like to know what would be a benefit of wrapping NLP tools/services
as SADI services?

SADI services are semantic web services which consume and produce instances
of OWL Classes. Describing input and and output of services in terms of
some reference ontology gives possibility to make services interoperopable,
interchangeable. The SADI allows automated discovery of distributed data
resources and the automated orchestration of chains of Web Services into
complex workflows.
More details can be found here
http://sadiframework.org/content/links-and-docs/

Recently I developed a couple of text mining SADI services using NIF-1.0
Spec. (One of them
http://unbsj.biordf.net/ie-sadi/extractDrugNamesFromTextV4). They work in a
workflow with another SADI service. Basically it is a very basic pipeline
consisting of one NLP service to extract drug names from text and a service
which checks dangerous drug-drug interactions between drugs found in the
text and drugs in the personal drug consumption database (it simulates a
personal medical health record). Actually I implemented two alternative
services to extract drugs. Since they are interchangeable, it was easy to
switch between them and choose one which performs the best.

Now I am trying to figure out if there is *a motivation to continue work on
building SADI NLP services*???

Pro:
- easily interchangeable, easy to build pipelines
- fits well in scenarios of real-time data discovery
- fits well in data integration scenarios

- Artjom Klein

Computer Science Researcher at University of New Brunswick Canada
http://www.unbsj.ca/sase/csas/facultyPage.php?member=Artjom%20Kleinl