[NLP2RDF] Extending NIF Ontologies

Carina Haupt carina.haupt at scai-extern.fraunhofer.de
Wed Jan 18 14:44:38 CET 2012

Hi Sebastian

Am 18.01.2012 09:53, schrieb Sebastian Hellmann:
> Hi Carina,
> there were several reasons why I choose scms:means, but none of them
> really matters in the end. So I would not mind replacing it with
> something else.
>
> The basic idea is that the property connects String with some form of
> data entity such as DBpedia. Assuming that a DBpedia URI has a well
> defined meaning, given by the Wikipedia article "means" seemed to fit.

I agree that it fits somehow, but I still think it is too general

> The other reason was that it was already used by http://fox.aksw.org
>
> The main reason, why I created such a property in the first place, is
> that all Entity Linking tools, would produce the same output regarding
> to the property.
>
> So what do you think? What alternatives would you propose?

I would propose to generate a property like pao:incarnationOf (actually
I am not 100% happy with this expression), which needs a pao:Hit as
domain and skos:Concept as range, and also is a subproperty of
dc-terms:subject and perhaps also of scms:means. But to be able include
scms:means, we would first need to have it's definition, so that we can
check if everything is consistent.

> In general I would prefer to send all mails over the mailing list, if
> there is no sensitive data involved. There are over 50 people subscribed
> already and feedback would really help when talking about ontologies
> (shared conceptualisation)

Sorry, I did not exclude the mailing list on purpose.

--

Carina Haupt

Fraunhofer-Institute for Algorithms and Scientific Computing (SCAI)
Schloss Birlinghoven
D-53754 Sankt Augustin

Tel.: +49 - 2241 - 14 - 3480
E-mail: carina.haupt at scai-extern.fraunhofer.de
Internet: http://www.scai.fraunhofer.de

and

Bonn-Aachen International Center for Information Technology (B-IT)
Dahlmannstrasse 2
D-53113 Bonn

E-mail: hauptc at informatik.uni-bonn.de
Internet: http://www.b-it-center.de