[NLP2RDF] Merging of the NIF Core Ontology and FISE from Apache Stanbol (and some other news)

Sebastian Hellmann hellmann at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Mon Jul 8 12:35:39 CEST 2013

Good News Everyone!

Yesterday, I had a more detailed look at the FISE Ontology[1], which is
supposed to provide an output format for Apache Stanbol [2]. After a
while I found out that they fit together without major problems, so I
went ahead and created a merging proposal! The NIF Core Ontology [3] is
now dually licensed under CC-By 3.0 and Apache 2.0 to ease integration.
The NIF inf model ([4], line 92) documents the mapping from NIF-Core to
Fise.  One minor problem is that FISE uses xsd:int and not
xsd:nonNegativeInteger for indices.
The mapping is complete except for the (probably unnecessary)
fise:entity-label.
(cross posting to Stanbol and NLP2RDF list)

Due to this merger, the creation of a release candidate for NIF 2.0 is
coming along quite well now. The seven properties/classes (Context,
String,  isString, RFC5147String, endIndex, beginIndex,
referenceContext) at the core are already stable.

We included a lot of people in the attribution section[5] as well, but
the list is not yet exhaustive.  Also there is a NIF validator software
and  a logging ontology.
The Validator uses SPARQL 1.1 to produce log output adhering to the
logging ontology.
* Jar for CLI (no webservice yet) [6]
* Readme [7]
* The SPARQL queries [8]

Please feel free to:
* download the validator and test it on your NIF implementation to see
what changed
* check if we spelled your name correctly ;) in the attribution section
[5].
* Please also tell us whether we should add your logo in the
maintainer/supporter section
* check and extend the ontology and write some additional SPARQL queries[8]

Since we moved to GitHub now, we are also eager to give out push
permissions....

All the best,
Sebastian

[1] http://fise.iks-project.eu/ontology/
[2] http://stanbol.apache.org/
[3]
https://github.com/NLP2RDF/persistence.uni-leipzig.org/blob/master/ontologies/nif-core/version-1.0/nif-core.ttl
[4]
https://github.com/NLP2RDF/persistence.uni-leipzig.org/blob/master/ontologies/nif-core/version-1.0/nif-core-inf.ttl#L92
[5] http://persistence.uni-leipzig.org/nlp2rdf/#attribution
[6] https://github.com/NLP2RDF/java-maven/raw/master/validate.jar
[7]
https://github.com/NLP2RDF/java-maven/blob/master/README.md#nif-validator
[8]
https://github.com/NLP2RDF/java-maven/tree/master/core/jena/src/main/resources/sparqltest

--
On holidays from 11. July until 3. August

Dipl. Inf. Sebastian Hellmann
Events:
* NLP & DBpedia 2013 (http://nlp-dbpedia2013.blogs.aksw.org, Extended
Deadline: *July 18th*)