[NLP2RDF] NIF, Stanford Dependency Parses

Sebastian Hellmann hellmann at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Sun Mar 10 15:03:47 CET 2013

Hi Chris,
the project is in a big transition currently.  There is a stable version
1.0 of Stanford parser and it is available here:
https://code.google.com/p/nlp2rdf/downloads/list .

We are currently working on NIF 2.0, which will have a lot of (mostly
administrative) changes. On Friday, I received  a green light to host
the ontologies on http://persistence.uni-leipzig.de/nlp2rdf which will
be there as long as University Leipzig exists. We are also moving to
GitHub.

I have started to update the Stanford parser, here:
https://bitbucket.org/kurzum/nif-core/src
Note that this is not finished yet, so it probably will not compile, as
it is still work in progress.

Ideally, the wrapper for Stanford should not be in the NIF repo, but
integrated into the Stanford Core NLP framework. This would be the most
effective, but I didn't have the time to look at the Stanford code in
detail (especially where they keep their (de-) serialization).

I recently generated java classes for Olia. You can access them by renaming:
http://olia.nlp2rdf.org/owl/penn.owl ->
http://olia.nlp2rdf.org/owl/Penn.java

This is also not perfect, yet and can be done in many other ways. In the
end the RDF, that comes out, counts.
So, I would be happy, if you were to tackle any of the problems. Maybe,
you would like to create the reference implementation for Stanford Core
or even become the NIF-Stanford maintainer. I am not sure however,
whether it matches your goals. If you just want some quick results, you
can use the old code, especially, if you are only interested in English.
Having it working out of the box for different tagsets and languages
would be swell however.

The first step, would be to describe your use case and requirements in
more detail. We  are collecting this in the wiki:
http://wiki.nlp2rdf.org/wiki/Use_cases#Use_cases
http://wiki.nlp2rdf.org/wiki/Requirements#Requirements
In the end, we will check, whether NIF 2.0 will be able to fullfill the
use cases.

All the best,
Sebastian

Am 10.03.2013 00:55, schrieb Roeder, Chris:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just having a look around. I'm interested in getting
> Stanford dependency parses into RDF. It looks like there
> is a lot of worthwhile infrastructure here. Is anyone
> working on this?  Would you like some help?
>
> -Chris Roeder

Dipl. Inf. Sebastian Hellmann
Projects: http://nlp2rdf.org , http://dbpedia.org
Homepage: http://bis.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/SebastianHellmann