[obml] CfPart Workshop Collectives in Space and Time, Rostock, 23-25 June

Frank Loebe frank.loebe at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Mi Jun 8 23:12:20 CEST 2011

[forwarded on request of Ludger Jansen]

Workshop

Collectives in Space and Time

23-25 June 2011

Universitätsgebäude Parkstraße 6, 18057 Rostock, Room 206

Suffering from an individualistic bias, classical ontology has long
disregarded collectives. But collectives are important. Not only do we live
and work in social collectives, but in a way we seem to be collectives
ourselves, namely collectives of cells, molecules or atoms. Set theory and
mereology, the two standard accounts for collectives, have notorious
difficulties: How can abstract sets be renderings of concrete collectives,
existing in space and time, having causal relevance? How can we avoid that
the arbitrariness of sets and sums carries over to collectives?

Organizers: Bertram Kienzle (Rostock) & Ludger Jansen (Aachen/Rostock)

Thursday, 23 June

18:00
Opening
Anthony Galton (Exeter): The Life and Motion of Collective Phenomena

Friday, 24 June

9:15
Bertram Kienzle (Rostock): Collectives and Collections

11:15
Rico Hauswald (Dresden): Group-like and Kind-like Social Collectives

14:30
Peter Simons (Dublin): Higher-order Collectives

16:30
Nikk Effingham (Birmingham): Arbitrary Identification in Setist Ontologies
Ludger Jansen (Rostock/Aachen): Rebuttal

Saturday, 25 June

9:15
Heinrich Herre (Leipzig) On the Relation between Sets, Categories, and
Collectives

11:15
Martin Lemke (Rostock): Is Mereology More Concrete and Less Abstract than
Set Theory?

14:30
Niels Grewe (Rostock): Delays and Interruptions

16:30
Niko Strobach (Saarbrücken): Temporal Identity according to Galton - An
Alternative to Constitution?

The workshop language is English. Guests are welcome to participate. There
is no charge, but due to restricted space we ask you to register in advance.

Information and registration: bertram.kienzle at uni-rostock.de

A map can be found here:
http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=de&geocode=&q=Parkstra%C3%9Fe+6
,+18057,+Rostock&aq=0&sll=54.177002,12.066261&sspn=0.010323,0.027466&ie=UTF8
&hq=&hnear=Parkstra%C3%9Fe+6,+Rostock+18057+Rostock,+Mecklenburg-Vorpommern&
ll=54.084368,12.104831&spn=0.010346,0.043817&z=15