[obml] FW: JOB: Postdoc-Position in Philosophy of Biomimetics, Rostock

Frank Loebe frank.loebe at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Mo Jan 23 12:29:22 CET 2023

------ Forwarded Message ------
From:    Ludger Jansen <ludger.jansen at uni-rostock.de>
Sent:    2023.01.23 11:34 +0100

Within the DFG-funded project “Learning from Nature: Epistemological and
Ontological Foundations of Biomimetics”, affiliated with the Institute
of Philosophy at the University of Rostock (Prof. Dr. Ludger Jansen), we
are looking for a researcher for the following role:

Postdoctoral Researcher (“Wissenschaftliche*r Mitarbeiter*in”, m/f/d)
EG 13 TV-L, full-time, 40 h/week, temporary project position

It is intended to fill the role at the earliest possible date. The
position is initially limited until 29.02.2024 with the possibility of
extension till the end of the project (overall for up to 30 month).

The researcher is expected to contribute to a corpus of research
examples to be analysed in the project, to analyse the reasoning
patterns in these projects and to review their ontological commitments.
Based on this, the foundational categories of biomimetics (like
functions, working principles, and constructions) are to be analysed
using First-Order Logic and the Web Ontology Language. Further details
at https://biomimetics.hypotheses.org/.

Requirements
- Completed doctorate in philosophy, biomimetics, biology, engineering
or another subject relevant to the project with at least good results
- Ability for conceptual thinking and formal analysis
- Ability to cooperate in a diverse team and in an interdisciplinary
environment
- Ability to work independently on new topics with curiosity,
creativity, and passion for research
- Flexibility to travel to and present research at conferences
- A good command of written and spoken English

The following will be considered a plus:
- Competence in the Philosophy of Science, of Biology and of Engineering
- Domain knowledge in Biology and Engineering (or maybe even in Biomimetics)
- Skills and experience in Applied Ontology (OWL, BFO, Protege …)
- Skills and experience in Workshop organisation
- German language skills

We offer
- A diverse, varied and challenging job in a tradition-conscious, yet
innovative, modern and family-friendly university in a lively city by
the sea.
- Employment relationship under the provisions of the Collective
Agreement  for the Public Service of the Länder (TV-L) with the employer
Federal  State of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, represented by the University
of  Rostock
- Remuneration with pay group 13 if the personal and collective
agreement requirements are met
- An individual assignment of the experience level according to the
collective agreement, taking into account your previous professional
experience
- 30 days annual leave and special annual payment; additional pension
scheme (VBL)
- Flexible working time arrangements
- A wide range of offers to promote health and reconcile work and family
life, e.g. through our family office or our URgesund health management
system.
- Variety of further training opportunities, including language courses,
IT courses, seminars for professional development
- Possibility of participation in the extensive range of university
sports on offer

The project is based in Rostock and Tübingen; the position advertised
will be affiliated with the University of Rostock. Home office
arrangements are possible, but availability for team meetings and
conference visits is required.

We as employer
Equal opportunities are important to us. We welcome applications from
suitable severely disabled persons or persons of equal status. We aim to
increase the proportion of women in research and teaching and therefore
encourage relevantly qualified women to apply. We welcome applications
from people of other nationalities or with a migration background.

Formal notes
The fixed term of the employment relationship is based on § 14 (1) TzBfG
for the replacement of Professor Jansen due to his call as Cusanus
professor at the PTH Brixen.

In principle, the position is also suitable for part-time employment. If
corresponding applications are received, it will be examined whether
the part-time wishes can be met within the scope of the official
possibilities.

If desired, the staff council (Personalvertretung) can be consulted in
the selection process. Please enclose an informal application with your
application documents.

We look forward to receiving your online application with complete,
informative documents (cover letter, CV, diploma with indication of
final grade, writing sample and name of references) by 15.02.2023 at the
latest. Only applications received via our application portal and
containing all requested documents will be considered:
https://jobs.uni-rostock.de/jobposting/3c98b9386e02323648c50e0d6213a89ddea196f20?ref=homepage

Unfortunately, application and travel costs cannot be covered by the
state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.

For further information please contact:

Institute of Philosophy: Prof. Dr. Ludger Jansen,
ludger.jansen at uni-rostock.de
Personell service: Mrs. Beatrice Gutzmer, Tel. 0381/498-1277

--
Prof. Dr. Ludger Jansen
Institut für Philosophie

PTH Brixen