[OpenWalnut-Dev] new branch for PCH and unity builds

Mathias Goldau math at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Tue Nov 16 15:37:29 CET 2010

Am 15.11.2010 18:11, Robin Ledig wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I think you all recognized by now that OW got pretty huge and takes a lot of
> time to build.

Yes this is totally true :(, but instead of PCH or unity-builds, I would
suggest to reduce compile time via more forward declarations. I am sure there
are still some unnecessary dependencies.

BTW: I think we could do better with the unit tests, so that the compilation
is much faster, but I think this was not your point, right?

For me the whole project builds in 3:12min at work, and the reason for that is
that many cores CAN be used. If I would have only one target I would probably
get stucked to single core performance again. As you mentioned with
Unity-Build one a little change was made the whole target has to be build
again. And as I do compile very often, since I am not always right with the
syntax, I would have to compile the big chunk over and over again. If you work
on a single file in common the compile time is ATM <20sec but I am sure the
whole common needs more than 5min in single core performance.

Of course @home I also don't have those 16 cores and it would be great to
reduce compile time there too, since there it needs ~32min. So a solution
could be a specific target?

best regards and thanks for starting this discussion and the effort you put in
there
math

--
Institut für Informatik