[OpenWalnut-Dev] WGridRegular3D

Andre Reichenbach reichenbach at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Thu Oct 28 17:12:57 CEST 2010

Hi,

I think our grid has become quite confusing. It seems there are several
matrices and other data fields that describe the orientation of the
grid. Also there are some interesting things like getOffset*() returning
the norm of m_direction* instead of m_offset*, and so on.

I'm thinking about reworking the grid with the following things in mind:

- avoiding data duplication (i.e. there is only one orientation matrix)
- the user should not need to know about the semantics of internal data

   (this leads to streamlining constructors for example, different
constructors
    seem to set different values for several internal data fields, for
example
    unit axis vectors for the directions, which in turn leads to
getOffset*()
    ignoring the actual offsets as those are represented in the
transformation matrix... )

Also, shouldn't grids - as they are parts of datasets - be const? I've
seen several members that
suggest transformations on an existing grids are possible.

I do not want to rush this, as there might be a lot of things that may
get broken in the process.
However, we should discuss this at the next meeting, which could be Mon
7th, for example.

Bye,
   Andre