[OpenWalnut-Dev] There is a decision to be made

Alexander Wiebel wiebel_openwalnut at dergrosse.de
Thu Dec 1 09:04:58 CET 2011

Hi List,
here comes my comment to Sebastian's statement on the state of the
VisualStudio port.

Sebastian is definitely right in that the code is not in a good state
regarding VisualStudio compilationat the moment. It is also true that I
did not do much in this direction. However, I think that this is the
case mainly due to the one main Problem with templates that stopped my
work on the code. I think that the time needed to maintain the Visual
Studio support is not too high as soon as someone (hopefully I) gets the
template code running.
As soon as this is the case, I believe that reacting only to the
incremental changes should not be such a big problem. And as I am
working with VisualStudio now all the time, it does not cost me too much
effort to test the port again and again. It would be just in my very
personal interest.

In case we can not find a solution or workaround for the template stuff,
I have to agree with Sebastian, that VisualStudio support is not in
reach soon and that (in this case) the code regarding VisualStudio
should be removed.

Finally, I definitely agree to remove the hints to VisualStudio from the
website in the current state (I can do this fast).

Cheers

Alex