[OpenWalnut-Dev] WGETexture2, WDataTexture2 and WGEColormapping

Sebastian Eichelbaum eichelbaum at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Thu Jan 27 14:32:12 CET 2011

Hi List

I finally pushed the new texturing and colormapping mechnism to OpenWalnut. There are some cool advantages over the old simple texturing and "hand-made" colormapping. I already modified the ImageSpaceLIC, Isosurfave Raytracer, DVR and PaintTexture modules. You should port your modules to the new colormapping too (and please do it quite soon). In this mail, I can't describe it in very detail. I'll write a new example colormapping-and-shader-super-documentation-module a la our template module in the next days. This will demosntrate the use of our, currently very powerful, shader mechanism, colormapping and offscreen rendering mechanism. In the mean time, ask me if you have questions concerning the new colormapping and texturing interface.

Some advantages:
 * AUTOMATIC coupling of texture properties to the shader behind the scenes
 * Unified transformation mechanism ensuring proper transformation of textures in our scene-space
 * Provides many uniforms automatically to your shader containing the correct sampler, texture sizes, ...
 * A texture can be registered to the colormapper in ONE line and modules can apply the colormapping to their module in ONE line too.
 * Creation on demand. A texture which is not used does not require space on GPU and CPU
 * ...

Please do NOT hack or "improve" the WGETexture2, WDataTexture2 or WGEColormapping stuff. Most probably, there already is a good solution for your special problem. Simply ask me. If everyone has ported his/her modules, I'll remove the old texturing and coloring and rename WGETExture2 and WDataTexture2 to WGETExture and WDataTexture.

The following modules need to be ported or tested somehow:

 * arbitraryPlane
 * bermanTracking
 * clusterDisplay
 * clusterDisplayVoxels
 * fiberDisplay
 * functionalMRIViewer
 * imageExtractor
 * lineGuidedSlice
 * marchingCubes
 * overlayAtlas
 * splineSurface
 * textureMapper ( I'll do this )
 * Nav Slices ( Ralph and me will do this )

Most of these modules do not need large changes.

Bye
Sebastian

--
Dipl.-Inf. Sebastian Eichelbaum