[OpenWalnut-Dev] OpenWalnut and pre installed NIfTI library

Alexander Wiebel wiebel at zib.de
Fri Jul 1 22:37:06 CEST 2011

Hi,
I just wanted to let you know that I had the following problem when
compiling the current OpenWalnut:

I have a FSL installed in my system path. With it comes the niftilib, or
at least I believe that the niftilib I have in my system path comes from
FSL.

When compiling OpenWalnut I got the following error:

Linking CXX shared library ../lib/libopenwalnut.so
/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.5/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld:
/usr/local/lib/libniftiio.a(nifti1_io.o): relocation R_X86_64_32S
against `.data' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile
with -fPIC
/usr/local/lib/libniftiio.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I was able to fix this by clearing all nifti relevant variables in
ccmake. This made the build the system think there was no preinstalled
niftilib, and compile and use the one it brings itself.

This is OK for me, one just have to know it. So I wanted to share it
with you.

Cheers,
Alex