[OpenWalnut-Dev] Source Restructuring

Sebastian Eichelbaum eichelbaum at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Wed May 18 18:06:11 CEST 2011

Hi List

I began to restructure our source. I moved kernel, common. dataHAndler and graphicsEngine to a directory called "core". The GUI is now in directory qt4gui directly. It USES the core lib and ext. Currently, I changed the CMake scripts to build OW again with this new structure and made the modules to use absolute includes for core and ext stuff: #include "core/kernel/stuff.h" . The next step is to clean our Cmake mess and merge several libs. I'll inform you when its done.

The Goals:

 - ONE lib: libOW --> its common, dh, ge and kernel in one lib
 - ONE lib: libOWext --> all the external stuff
   -> has some licence advantages if only linked again OW
   -> after I am done, this will be only Eigen3 since the others (nifti,biosig,eep and so on will be placed inside the loader modules that use them)
 - The GUI is the executable and is linked against libOW. (no libOWqt4gui stuff anymore)

Why:

 - Clean structure
 - Modules, GUI and OW core are strictly separated from each other
   -> allows simple external development of modules and alternative "GUI" like server-side script GUIs and similar
 - We can better separate very common and often used modules (marching cubes and this stuff) and very specific research stuff

Possible problems:

 - If you added files in your own branches, you might need to move them manually to the core directories
 - I am quite sure that the visual studio might have problems since I might forgot some VS specific things
   - solve this problem by using MSys or even better: use Linux

Bye
Sebastian

--
Dipl.-Inf. Sebastian Eichelbaum