[OpenWalnut-Dev] numCores and the target "many"

Mathias Goldau math at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Tue Mar 20 18:23:16 CET 2012

On 20.03.2012 12:46, Sebastian Eichelbaum wrote:
> Hi List
>
> This is only interesting for those of you who use the make-target "many". It is the only target in our build system which uses numCores. If you say "what? I thought the stylecheck-target uses numCores too." ... no it doesn't. For fast stylechecking you can use "make -j8 stylecheck". However, I propose to remove the numCores stuff completely from our build system. The many-target is not in common use and can be seen as developer feature used only by a few of us. As this simply is an alias, do it the Unix-way: add an alias to your shell's config. (btw: this works on mingw too)

You are right whenever I want to compile fast I don't want to generate
doxygen and stylecheck and foobar (even if this is done fast then) since
I want to be fast! So I usually employ "make -j 7600000". So no
objections on removing "make many" and your are right an alias would be
the proper way.

> If you have severe concerns against numCore's removal, please report them  back. Thank you. I expect your answers until March 27th.

As I usually employ "make -j 7600000", my box freezes to death and I
have to reboot: No out of memory kill from the kernel, nor any other
auto kill mechanism has ever saved me from freezing my machine when I
did an "make -j16" on my laptop where I should have used "make -j4". I
even can't get back to terminals via CTRL+ALT+F1 etc. Remote login also
didn't returned. So I would propose a way on protecting me from killing
my machine by specifying too much threads (what ever that "too much" is
about, as only 1 or 2 threads more would be fine). I could imagine that
numcores could be of some use here. But as this is only a thought so
far: Remove numcores and if I ever get to the point on implementing such
a feature I will use hg or my_iBrain to get this done :D.

math