[OpenWalnut-Dev] Copyright 2009

Sebastian Eichelbaum eichelbaum at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Tue Feb 19 12:05:13 CET 2013

The GNU Doc tells us the following:

The copyright notice should include the year in which you finished preparing the release (so if you finished it in 1998 but didn't post it until 1999, use 1998). You should add the proper year for each release; for example, “Copyright 1998, 1999 Terry Jones” if some versions were finished in 1998 and some were finished in 1999. If several people helped write the code, use all their names.

For software with several releases over multiple years, it's okay to use a range (“2008-2010”) instead of listing individual years (“2008, 2009, 2010”) if and only if every year in the range, inclusive, really is a “copyrightable” year that would be listed individually; and you make an explicit statement in your documentation about this usage.

It is from http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.en.html. This gave us the answer that a 2009-2013 statement is valid BUT this also indicates that we have to modify each file header every year! This is not feasible. I therefore propose to write the year in which the file was first created.

Sebastian