[OpenWalnut-Dev] boost program_options linker error

Sebastian Eichelbaum openwalnut at nemtics.com
Thu Aug 27 11:30:22 CEST 2015

Hi list,

I recently updated my system and now use boost 1.58. Unfortunately, there is an
issue when building the qt gui/scriptui. Both use boost::program_options. When
linking, the linker complains about the missing reference
"boost::program_options::arg".

The mighty internet provides two solutions:

1) missing explicit linking to boost_program_options (-l)
2) definition of "BOOST_PROGRAM_OPTIONS_DYN_LINK" something.

Both "solutions" did not work. Please be so kind to check this on your systems,
especially when using boost 1.58. It is a critical issue. We cannot release
OpenWalnut when it does not compile/link on this boost version.

You can trace down the issue to boost/program_options/config.hpp and
boost/program_options/detail/value_semantic.hpp. Something is wrong there. BUT
we cannot fix this in there. It is out of reach.

As a workaround for you if you need to get it work again (DO NOT commit),
replace the program_options include in OpenWalnut.cpp with

namespace boost { namespace program_options { std::string arg; } }
#include <boost/program_options.hpp>

Cheers

Sebastian

--
Dr. rer. nat. Sebastian Eichelbaum
Nemtics Visualization - Software | Training | Consulting
sebastian.eichelbaum at nemtics.com
+49 176 34541337
Gohliser Straße 20 - D-04105 Leipzig