[Qrowd] hardware infrastructure

Jens Lehmann lehmann at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Mi Apr 8 10:51:23 CEST 2015

Hello,

I just made further checks on the proposal and one area which is not
fully convincing yet is the hardware infrastructure. Since we want to
run things at scale, it is clear that we need appropriate servers to do
so. There are mainly two ways to achieve that: a) by declaring hardware
costs or cloud usage costs in the budget or b) by declaring that
existing infrastructure is contributed in the partner descriptions. At
the moment, this is only partially done by some partners, so each
partner should check whether he has the hardware (and also has this
written down explicitly via a) or b)) to run the proposed experiments
and edit the partner profiles (now in Word) accordingly or let us know
of budget changes. Note that we can only swap hardware for PMs at this
stage as we are very close to 4 mio Euro (3.99).

That issue is particularly important for the platform work package: It
would be easiest if we can say that ENG (or Ontos?) is contributing
large-scale infrastructure facilities (possibly with restrictions e.g.
only for the runtime of the project, up to x million computing hours
etc.) to the consortium. Otherwise, we would probably have to swap
personal costs to hardware infrastructure / cloud costs for large-scale
platform deployment and experiments. What are your thoughts on this?

(I'm bringing this up as it makes the planning more convincing and it is
something which reviewers can easily use to downgrade/filter proposals.)

Kind regards,

Jens

--
Dr. Jens Lehmann
AKSW Group, Department of Computer Science, University of Leipzig