[W12.bis.dssnp] debian package for the Kernel

Natanael Arndt arndtn at gmail.com
Sa Dez 15 14:00:53 CET 2012

Am 14.12.2012 23:07, schrieb Jonas Smedegaard:
> Quoting Sebastian Tramp (2012-12-14 21:22:08)
>>> Cool :-)
>> It looks that a custom kernel is crucial for our hardware.
>>
>> @nate: Can you provide a kernel package for us as described here:
>> http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html
> Uhm, that document was last edited in 2003, and first step is to create
> a boot floppy. :-/
>
> It might nowadays be as simple as doing a "make deb" directly from
> unpacked source tree (after configuring).
>
> Else the best documentation on building based on the official Debian
> kernel packages is probably this:
> http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-common-tasks.html#s-common-official
>
> It would be quite nice if you you enable most possible modules (i.e.
> base your configuration on most recent armhf config).
>

> Regards,
>
>  - Jonas

Currently a normal debian package will work, because the uImage is on
the boot partition [1], which is currently not mounted into the root
filesystem on run time.
We can mount it with
    mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot/

So we have to find out if there are any special things regarding the
boot process we have to pay attention to and if the normal debian kernel
packages can this. Furthermore I currently don't know a way how to have
multiple kernels on the system and what would happen if multiple kernel
packages are installed.

Nate

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/UniLeipzigPractical#Installation