[W12.bis.dssnp] Installing a FreedomBox environment

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Fr Okt 12 22:10:03 CEST 2012

On 12-10-12 at 08:35pm, Natanael Arndt wrote:
> Hello I'm Natanael (the 6th Student)
>
> I tried to boot the freedombox image [1] in a VirtualBox to see what
> it actually is. Now i figured out that it is an ARM system.

That image is for ARM, yes.  Current prototype hardware is ARM, and that
image is designed for the actual prototype hardware.

Since you are talking about virtualization, I assume you folks are
working on the software part rather than close to the hardware, and then
it is silly to virtualize alien architecture when same software (Debian)
is available for almost any architecture that you use natively. :-)

> Jonas said: "Simply install a minimal Debian installation, and work
> from there!". Can you maybe tell us or point us to a location, where
> we can find out, what is the difference between the Debian on my
> Laptop and the FreedomBox?
>
> Is it a Debian-Based Distribution or a collection of software which
> can be added to a plain Debian installation (e.g. an APT-repo).
>
> [1]
> http://download.freedomboxfoundation.org/torrents/freedombox-kickstarter-release.img.xz.torrent

FreedomBox is two things: A business and a development community.

Above URL is from the business.  The business is consumer oriented.

You want as developer to look more at the development community.

Specifically, this is what you want:
http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/VirtualBoxImages

Hope that helps,

 - Jonas