[W12.bis.dssnp] 2nd xodx dssnp teleconf - summary (2012-12-17)

Natanael Arndt arndtn at gmail.com
Mo Jan 7 11:41:03 CET 2013

Am 07.01.2013 10:55, schrieb Jonas Smedegaard:
> Hi all,
>
> Quoting Natanael Arndt (2013-01-07 00:58:04)
>> We asked our selves how to messure the resource consumption of xodx to
>> make sure the software matches the requirements formulated on [2] or
>> are those only relevant for the hardware?
> I'd say those requirements are apply equally well to hardware and
> software: We want slowest possible hardware to help keep price and power
> consumption low, which means we want the least possible software
> activities pushing the demands for yet more powerful hardware.
That is, what I have expected as intent of the "Performance
requirements": "It must be able to execute all Freedom Box software at
less than half of the CPU load".

> I was sysadmin at an advertising agency many years ago when internet
> connections was done with dialup modems. The agency folks started
> engaging in this new "web design" and had read a study saying that
> consumers lost interest if a web page took more than 20 seconds to load.
> Their resonse was to carefully design web pages so heavy that with a
> common modem speed took 19 seconds to load.
>
> You see the parallel?  It is craaaazy to aim for "highest possible" -
> aim for lowest possible, and the box will have _extra_ breathing room
> which _improves_ stability and/or allows our user to activate more or
> different functionality than what you'd expected in your calculations.
Do you have an idea of, how we can measure the performance? Since it is
an application which answers to requests it has some peeks on request
and the average load is highly dependent on the frequency of request
which can extremely variate. Or do you think measuring the page loading
time is a good idea?

> Keep up this great work - I am excitedly following!
>
> Oh, and please consider sharing your progress at the FreedomBox
> mailinglist and/or blog about it: I am sure others are excited too to
> learn what you're exploring (not only the results, but also your
> process!).
Thank you. Do you think we should post status reports to the FreedomBox
list or just invite the people there to follow our list?

Nate