[Forschungsseminar-BSV] Forschungsseminar Computergrafik, Bildverarbeitung und Visualisierung

Patrick Oesterling oesterling at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Mo Sep 1 16:54:24 CEST 2014

A C H T U N G: Bitte beachten Sie den von der üblichen Startzeit und vom
üblichen Veranstaltungsort abweichenden Beginn dieses Forschungsseminars!

---

E I N L A D U N G

zum Forschungsseminar 'Computergrafik, Bildverarbeitung und
Visualisierung' am Dienstag, den 02. September 2014, 13:15 Uhr, Raum
A-314 im Augusteum am Augustusplatz.

Wir hören einen Vortrag von:

Stephan Hellmich
Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V. (DLR) in der
Helmholtzgemeinschaft
Institut für Planetenforschung

mit dem Titel

"cuSwift - A suite of numerical integration methods for modelling
planetary systems implemented in C/CUDA"

zum Inhalt:

Simulations of dynamical processes in planetary systems represent an
important tool for studying their orbital evolution [1][6][4]. Using
modern numerical integration methods, it is possible to model systems
containing many thousands of objects over time scales of several hundred
million years. However, in general supercomputers are needed to get
reasonable simulation results in acceptable execution times [4]. To
exploit the ever growing computation power of Graphics Processing Units
(GPUs) in modern desktop computers we implemented cuSwift, a library of
numerical integration methods for studying long- term dynamical
processes in planetary systems. cuSwift can be seen as a
re-implementation of the famous SWIFT integrator package written by Hal
Levison and Martin Duncan. cuSwift is written in C/CUDA and contains
different integration methods for various purposes. So far, we have
implemented three algorithms: a 15th order Radau integrator [3], the
Wisdom-Holman Mapping (WHM) integrator [7] and the Regularized Mixed
Variable Symplectic (RMVS) Method [5]. These algorithms treat only the
planets as mutually gravitationally interacting bodies whereas asteroids
and comets (or other minor bodies of interest) are treated as massless
test particles which are gravitationally influenced by the massive
bodies but do not affect each other or the massive bodies. The main
focus of this work is on the symplectic methods (WHM and RMVS) which use
a larger time step and thus are capable of integrating many particles
over a large time span. As an additional feature, we implemented the
non-gravitational Yarkovsky effect as described by M. Brož [2]. With
cuSwift we show that the use of modern GPUs makes it possible to speed
up these methods by more than one order of magnitude compared to the
single-core CPU implementation, thereby enabling modest workstation
computers to perform long-term dynamical simulations. We use these
methods to study the influence of the Yarkovsky effect on resonant
asteroids. We present first results and compare them with integrations
done with the original algorithms implemented in SWIFT in order to
assess the numerical precision of cuSwift and to demonstrate the speedup
we achieved using the GPU.