[Forschungsseminar-BSV] Research Seminar 'Computer Graphics, Image Processing, and Visualization'

Tom Liebmann liebmann at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Mo Nov 14 14:21:50 CET 2016

A T T E N T I O N:
     Please note that the talk will in fact be given tomorrow. I
apologize for the
     announcement being very late this time.

I N V I T A T I O N

to the Research Seminar 'Computer Graphics, Image Processing, and
Visualization'

     onTuesday, November 15th, 2016, at 09:15 AM,
     in Room P-701 in the Paulinum, Augustusplatz.

A talk is given by

     Daniel Gerighausen
     Department of Computer Science
     Leipzig University.

and is entitled

     "Analyzing Histone Modifications in iPS Cells Using Tiled Binned 3D
Scatter
     Plots".

Abstract:

     Epigenetics data is very important for understanding the
differentiation of
     cells into different cell types.  Moreover, the amount of
epigenetic data
     available was and still is considerably increasing.  To cope with
this big
     amount of data, statistical or visual analysis is used. Usually,
     biologists analyze epigenetic data using statistical methods like
     correlations on a high level. However, this does not allow to
analyze the
     fate of histone modifications in detail during cell specification or to
     compare histone modifications in different cell lines.  Tiled binned
     scatter plot matrices proved to be very useful for this type of
analysis
     showing binary relationships.  We adapted the idea of tiling and
binning
     scatter plots from 2D to 3D, such that ternary relationships can be
     depicted.  Comparing tiled binned 3D scatter plots---the new
method---to
     tiled binned 2D scatter plot matrices showed, that many relations
that are
     difficult or impossible to find using tiled binned 2D scatter plot
matrices
     can easily be observed using the new approach.  We found that using our
     approach, changes in the distribution of the marks over time (different
     cell types) or differences between different replicates of the same
cell
     sample are easy to detect.

On behalf of Professor Scheuermann all those interested are cordially
invited to attend.

Yours sincerely,
Tom Liebmann