[NLP2RDF] NIF and provenance

J. Fernando Sánchez jfernando at dit.upm.es
Thu Dec 18 17:11:30 CET 2014

Hello,

This topic is really interesting. There are many ways to use PROV and NIF
together, so the challenge is defining the best practices. For instance,
the aggregation of annotations from different tools in NIF falls under the
use cases of PROV, but its approach is completely different.

I can tell you about our experience in a European project using NIF with
PROV-O for a specific scenario: sentiment analysis services. We focused on
ease of use for service developers, so we used json-ld output and one of
the priorities was making this json-ld as readable and usable as possible.

Simply put, each call to the NLP service generates and returns a
prov:Activity. That call generates the necessary nif:Context (also a
prov:Entity), and adds sentiment information too. The Sentiment Analysis is
a prov:Activity itself.

You can read about it here:
http://eurosentiment.readthedocs.org/en/master/format/servicesformat.html
And a working example: http://demos.gsi.dit.upm.es/onyxemote/

Then again, our use case is special because contexts are tied the service
call, we don't have to deal with versioning and aggregation.

Regards.