[OpenWalnut-Dev] There is a decision to be made

Sebastian Eichelbaum eichelbaum at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Tue Nov 29 12:36:18 CET 2011

Hi List

There is this little ticket #39 - Visual Studio does not compile WMatrixFixed ... And I am quite sure there are much mure code parts which will not work currently (for example these ugly export declaration stuff). We have several code parts and CMake specifics for VIsual Studio which never have been documented properly nor do we know whether they are needed or not.

Fact is:

* we currently not compile on Visual Studio (for some months now!)
* we claim to compile on Visual Studio

I know that Alex wanted to manage the Visual Studio port but of course his time is limited. The time needed to continuously maintain the Visual Studio compatibility is too high. We will not be able to maintain this. This is why we drop Visual Studio support officially. I will remove the Visual Studio specific codes on December 31rd.

To re-introduce Visual Studio support, we need more than a quick hack which compiles the code. We need documented and clearly emphasized Visual Studio specific codes. We need to minimize the amount of VS specific code, because I am very sure that much of the VS specifics we currently have are not really needed. Besides this, we need a maintainer, who has the time capacity to maintain it!

Bye
Sebastian

--
Dipl.-Inf. Sebastian Eichelbaum