[OpenWalnut-Dev] OpenWalnut-Weekend

Mathias Goldau math at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Sat May 12 11:28:03 CEST 2012

On 12.05.2012 10:07, Alexander Wiebel wrote:
> Dear OpenWalnut developers,
> I was just thinking about having an
> "OpenWalnut-BBQ-ComputerGraphics-Beer-Visualization-Bionade-C++-Coffee-Development-Cake-GLSL-Brain-Weekend"
> (short OpenWalnut-Weekend, even shorter OWW) some time. I would suggest
> a meeting from Friday evening until Sunday afternoon. I do not have any
> idea about a specific date by now. I just would like to know who is
> generally interested in an OWW.
>
> Anyone who likes the idea?

THIS is a great idea.. However before August I fear its simply not
possible from my side. Anyhow, as I've read your mail I though on many
things that may disappoint us when we split up on Sunday afternoon:

 * goals that were to big and simply not possible
 * everyone just working on its own code not achieving a benefit for the
whole project
 * not coded anything but have had endless discussions or made proposals
and ideas but in the end only new promises
 * read many (boost)-docs but nothing coded
 * fighted nasty bugs that turned out to be in class of MAC_OSX-bugs

To circumvent such problems we should make a list of small tickets for
the week end and we should make a prior Call-For-Small-Tickets (CFST).
Each ticket should have clear and full description and should have
estimated work for one hour. Then we could review and prioritize those
tickets (BEFORE the OWW) so a nice goal would be achieved once all those
small tickets were finished. Of course we should have some backup
tickets, so in case we are super fast (although, I doubt this ;)) we do
not run out of work. But before making new ideas features and what ever
stuff, we should concentrate on refactoring, as we all will benefit of this.

Ahh I drift towards an eXtremeProgramming-OWW.. but I really like the idea.

Furthermore, I propose that we need an SotwareEngineerUeberFuehrer ==
SEUF! as a good dictator which should function as a ticket chair. This
person should be our supervisor having the last word on accepting
tickets: I strongly suggest Sebastian for this as he is currently having
the best overview and as he is the main person currently maintaining the
project. Beside this, coding will not be supervised, but test driven
pair programming is a very very great chance for this OWW.

After work we could drink beer and play xbox (rally on the ancient tv
with crisps and beer and beer and crips+beer)

just my 200000 cents
Mathias