[OpenWalnut-Dev] W_LOADABLE_MODULE

Mathias Goldau Mathias.Goldau at nf.mpg.de
Fri Apr 12 00:49:50 CEST 2013

Hi Alex,

I think you made the point clear that marking module for our
moduleLoader is different in the Toolbox and in the OW repository. The
problem is, that in OW repo each module becomes *one* shared object or
dynamic lib, while in the Toolbox all modules are packed into one shared
library. Thats is the reason why it is different.

Some days ago, I coded the gaussianProcess stuff and had a similar
setup, as I wanted to have a new experminetal DataSet for two modules.
So I put also two modules into one OW module, and it was the very same
way I had to deal with the W_LOADABLE_MODULE stuff as we have it now
within the Toolbox.

Comming now to an answer on whether it will be possible to unify both
approaches or not. I can not clearly say if it will be possible, I guess
that a shared object could not have multiple symbols with the same name.
And as I read the W_LOADABLE_MODULE macro in WModule.h I hardly remember
that you can only use W_LOADABLE_MODULE macro *once* within your
library. I fear this is the reason.

However, I could imagine that we could split up the macro into two
parts, but than W_LOADABLE_MODULE might loose its beauty, but I would
wait on Sebastian's comment on that.

HTH, math