[OpenWalnut-Dev] OpenSceneGraoh 3.2

Sebastian Eichelbaum eichelbaum at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Thu Aug 8 19:12:16 CEST 2013

After some investigations I found these problematic issues with OSG 3.2:

* setXYZBinding methods of Geometry have changed. They MUST be called AFTER setXYZArray, because they are shortcuts for getXYZArray().setBinding()

* Geodes added to transparency bin are somehow strange now. It seems OSG disables depth comparison and depth write for these transparency bins
--> causes all modules using blending and transparency to look strange

* GL_BLEND in a geometries/geodes stateset seems not to work (why?)

* There is no BIND_TO_PRIMITIVE anymore. This means we MUST change all codes using per primitive normals and colors. This sounds trivial at first, but it will cost some effort
--> assume a cube. eight vertices, six faces. we often bound one normal for each face (bin-per-primitive). To use bind-per-vertex we need to duplicate all vertices, as a corner vertex is associated with 3 faces -> 3 normals.

* deprecated_osg::Geometry is NOT the original osg::Geometry code. It is dereived from the new osg::Geometry and tries to "emulate" the old features. Problematic with this is, that the old bin-per-primitive arrays are dropped by this implementation AND you need to call fixDeprecatedData for every Geoemtry instance manually if you have set the geometry to a geode before setting the arrays.
--> Problem: this seg-faults currently

Ok thats it. I really hope the OSG Team fixes some issues. Never the less, there will be some work for us to get osg 3.2 compatible.

Bye
Sebastian