[Qrowd] updated task list and impact section

Elena Simperl e.simperl at soton.ac.uk
Fr Mär 21 13:33:37 CET 2014

Dear all,

thank you for the productive discussions this morning. As mentioned in
the call, there was a slight mismatch between the task list in the wiki
and the deadlines discussed in the weekly calls.

I have updated the task list at
https://grips.semantic-web.at/display/QROW/Proposal+ICT+-+15+-+2014 to
better reflect reality. The page also includes a summary of the action
items and decisions agreed during the call.

As promised in the call, I had a look at the impact section, which this
week should be revised by Ontos. The new version, which people should
work on, is available at
https://grips.semantic-web.at/download/attachments/51809713/impact_elena.docx

Compared to the previous versions, I have added some new subheadings
which complement the impacts listed in the work program.  They are
motivated by the general guidelines found in the proposal template and
by the structure and scope of the evaluation forms that will be used to
grade our proposal.  I kindly ask Ontos, SWC and REEEP, who will revise
this document over the next two weeks to work on these sections as well.
In particular, the part on societal challenges would explain how our
energy business case will impact society and environmental development.

My general comment to the current text is that we need to be bolder.
We're far away from over-selling our proposal...too far away, I would
say :-) Also, reviewers like graphics showing market developments,
charts of some sort showing the role of open/linked data in industries
relevant to the proposal etc. I'd appreciate it if the partners who will
produce the next iterations of the section would try to implement this.
This is the most important section in the proposal, as it is weighed 50%
more than the other two parts.

@Robert, Andreas: it would be nice if you could send us a paragraph on
the societal implications of your business case. Societal in this
context means the societal challenges pursued in H2020 (health and
wellbeing, energy, transport & mobility, security and privacy). You
don't need to address all of them, but maybe you could come up with a
something along the lines of the use of open data to improve
productivity, improve transportation planning (thus less CO2
emissions...) etc.

Elena

--
Dr. Elena Simperl