[W12.bis.dssnp] Semweb and FreedomBox

Sebastian Tramp tramp at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Fr Okt 12 19:55:21 CEST 2012

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 07:38:19PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> > > I just saw your UniLeipzigPractical addition at wiki.debian.org about
> > > http://bis.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/de/Lehre/1213/WS/LV/DSSNP where it
> > > seems you are teaching if I am not mistaken. I am really excited about
> > > your focus on semweb for the FreedomBox.
> > yes, we try to extend the freedombox to build ein social network based on
> > WebID, Semantic Pingback and Activity Streams (or something similar).
>
> Sounds really cool.  In my opinion semweb mechanisms should ideally be at the
> core of Freedombox, and I therefore appreciate work in that area!

The main roadmap is to look into this architecture paper here and see what we
can port to this:
http://www.semantic-web-journal.net/content/architecture-distributed-semantic-social-network

> > > Can I help, somehow?
> >
> > Sure, most of us (incl. me) are newbies to the project. our first step is
> > to manage to buy hardware for the group (6 student + 2 research associates)
> > and to provide working virtual environments.
> >
> > If you have a working VirtualBox environment, please export an open virtual
> > appliance image for us, which we can distribute here. at least for me, the
> > current downloads does not work.
>
> Simply install a minimal Debian installation, and work from there!

@all: who wants to prepare a working box for the group and give a short
introduction to that?

> If you want the tools stuffed onto the Freedombox builds outside of Debian,
> then please tell on the Freedombox mailinglist how it is inefficient for
> larger collaboration that apply dirty hacks instead of using Debian style
> packaging.

The freedombox base system is standard debian?  a search for freedombox in
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_packages does not reveal any
freedombox related packages ...

> In fact, all of you should probably join the Freedombox mailinglist anyway,
> to listen and to share opinions and thoughts and findings. :-)

ok, I am subscribed now ...

> A major challenge on Freedombox is the space contraints.  That outrules in my
> opinion Java- and Scala-based tools due to their memory needs, which
> unfortunately is where a lot of exciting semweb development occurs.

at our research group, we have a lot of javascript and php development too.
A repository list is available here: https://github.com/AKSW/

> ...and don't hesitate to ask if you want my suggestions on ways to work (but
> beware that I do lots of packaging but little coding, so don't blindly assume
> that suggestions from me are useful for you.

oh great, I think I have a lot of packaging questions soon since we also
prepare debian/ubuntu packages of the LOD2 stack which are all semweb related:
http://stack.lod2.eu

Can I ask which hardware experience you made

Best regards

Sebastian Tramp

--
WebID: http://sebastian.tramp.name