[W12.bis.dssnp] Semweb and FreedomBox

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Fr Okt 12 19:38:19 CEST 2012

Hi all,

On 12-10-12 at 04:59pm, Sebastian Tramp wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 01:04:27PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
> > I just saw your UniLeipzigPractical addition at wiki.debian.org
> > about http://bis.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/de/Lehre/1213/WS/LV/DSSNP
> > where it seems you are teaching if I am not mistaken. I am really
> > excited about your focus on semweb for the FreedomBox.
>
> Hi Jonas,
>
> yes, we try to extend the freedombox to build ein social network based
> on WebID, Semantic Pingback and Activity Streams (or something
> similar).

Sounds really cool.  In my opinion semweb mechanisms should ideally be
at the core of Freedombox, and I therefore appreciate work in that area!

> > Can I help, somehow?
>
> Sure, most of us (incl. me) are newbies to the project. our first step
> is to manage to buy hardware for the group (6 student + 2 research
> associates) and to provide working virtual environments.
>
> If you have a working VirtualBox environment, please export an open
> virtual appliance image for us, which we can distribute here. at least
> for me, the current downloads does not work.

Simply install a minimal Debian installation, and work from there!

If you want the tools stuffed onto the Freedombox builds outside of
Debian, then please tell on the Freedombox mailinglist how it is
inefficient for larger collaboration that apply dirty hacks instead of
using Debian style packaging.

In fact, all of you should probably join the Freedombox mailinglist
anyway, to listen and to share opinions and thoughts and findings. :-)

A major challenge on Freedombox is the space contraints.  That outrules
in my opinion Java- and Scala-based tools due to their memory needs,
which unfortunately is where a lot of exciting semweb development
occurs.

Personally I feel at home with Perl, and have put an effort into putting
most of the libraries at http://www.perlrdf.org/ into Debian.  Obviously
I would really appreciate if some of your work would be in Perl - so
that I could try join you in hacking on it. :-)

Tell me more about your ideas and plans.  What tools you will be working
with. How you will exchange code.

...and don't hesitate to ask if you want my suggestions on ways to work
(but beware that I do lots of packaging but little coding, so don't
blindly assume that suggestions from me are useful for you.

> > Could we perhaps have a discussion on IRC or Jabber about what you
> > (want to) do, and how I might help more directly?
>
> Yes we can chat but with this mail I introduce you to the group
> (mailing list cc) - feel free to add yourself to the list (we should
> to English then).

List is nice - I am now subscribed.  For my sake you can continue
discussing in german, if you are more productive like that: I can read
german (but prefer writing in english if ok with you).

...but you might wanna change to english for the larger benefit: You can
involve others globally into your discussions more easily - without
needing to rehash and translate prior discussions, as newcomers can
simply read the archive of the list on their own.

Choice is yours! :-)

> > I am jonas at jones.dk on Jabber and jonas on OFTC e.g. in #freedombox
> > channel.

I accepted your friendship request at my Jabber server, Sebastian, but
since then it oddly displays as your server is offline.  Seems we both
run our own Jabber instances, so might be a worthwhile learning
experience to dig deeper into that issue...

The rest of you are of course welcome too to join us on Jabber.  I also
run a MUC (multi-user chat) where discussions are logged publicly, in
case you wanna use that.  Guest web access and logs are at
https://chat.jones.dk/ and Jabber address is talks at conference.jones.dk

 - Jonas