[W12.bis.dssnp] Semweb and FreedomBox

Sebastian Tramp tramp at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Sa Okt 13 21:39:48 CEST 2012

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 09:37:28PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > The main roadmap is to look into this architecture paper here and see what
> > we can port to this:
> > http://www.semantic-web-journal.net/content/architecture-distributed-semantic-social-network
>
> [I only very briefly skimmed the paper]
>
> You mean the achitectural design is in place and your task now is to
> (re)implement the pieces in a way suitable for use in Freedombox?

Yes, in that way. Maybe we need to adopt some details but the main architecture
is already in place and I hope we can manage to integrate it into the
freedombox.

> > > A major challenge on Freedombox is the space contraints.  That outrules
> > > in my opinion Java- and Scala-based tools due to their memory needs,
> > > which unfortunately is where a lot of exciting semweb development occurs.
> > at our research group, we have a lot of javascript and php development too.
>
> FreedomBox is a system with *no* administrator, so noone to monitor the
> health via logfiles etc and intervene in case of weird behavior.  All we can
> expect is the user turning the box off and on again if it acts strangely
> - and giving up and throwing the box away if it does so too often.

> I consider PHP too security flawed to run on FreedomBox.  Not that all code
> is broken, but it is too common, and the community too commonly behaves too
> relaxed about secure coding.

In general, the practical has not decided which language we use. We will do
a doodle later to decide that. Sure our research group is php, js and java
biased but I'm open to go into any direction here.

> > Can I ask which hardware experience you made
>
> Not sure what you mean.  I have some, but not much, experience playing with
> ARM devices, including juggling u-boot.  I own 3 Plug devices and a few other
> ARM machines, but I approach them mostly as a sysadmin: to me they are simply
> slow, low power servers.

Sure they exactly this and for most of us this is not so much interesting since
we rent a big server anyway somewhere :-)

But the vision of such a nice small box which hosts your small part of the
giant global graph of semantic and linked social data is so exciting that this
box is much more than a low power server. It is a castle, a lounge,
a communication centre and anything between.

Best regards

Sebastian Tramp

--
WebID: http://sebastian.tramp.name