[W12.bis.dssnp] Using the FreedomBox image

Natanael Arndt arndtn at gmail.com
Di Okt 16 19:49:28 CEST 2012

I have managed to download the image. There should be a seeder for the
torrent now, but you can also get it from [1].

To get the virtual machine running you need only
freedombox-unstable_2012.1007_virtualbox-i386-hdd.vdi.tar.bz2 [2] and
VirtualBox.

A1. Extract the archive and place
"freedombox-unstable_2012.1007_virtualbox-i386-hdd.vdi" in a directory
below your "VirtualBox VMs" directory in your home.
A2. Start VirtualBox go to "Datei > Manager für virtuelle Medien"
(something like "File > Manager for virtual Media" in english)
A3. Vlick the refresh-Button, you VDI should appear as a Harddisk.

Now go back to the main screen:
B1. Create a New VM, give it a name (e.g. "FreedomBox"), select "Linux"
as type and "Debian" as version.
B2. I have selected 256 MB Memory to get the lower bound but I think you
could also go up to 512 MB to emulate our target hardware.
B3. Select the lower option "Vorhandene Festplatte verwenden" (I guess
"Use and existing Harddisk") and select
"freedombox-unstable_2012.1007_virtualbox-i386-hdd.vdi" from the
drop-down menu.
B4. Click "Erzeugen" / "Create" to finish the process.

C1. Now you can start the VM.

The users and passwords are:

root:freedom (The root user)
fbx:frdm (The normal user. All the FreedomBox tools are stored in
/home/fbx.)

You will get more information from the README [3].

[1] https://www.betweennowhere.net/tracker/freedombox-images/
[2]
https://www.betweennowhere.net/tracker/freedombox-images/freedombox-unstable_2012.1007/freedombox-unstable_2012.1007_virtualbox-i386-hdd.vdi.tar.bz2
[3]