[Forschungsseminar-BSV] Forschungsseminar Computergrafik, Bildverarbeitung und Visualisierung

Patrick Oesterling oesterling at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Sa Jan 11 13:26:02 CET 2014

I N V I T A T I O N

to the Research Seminar 'Computer Graphics, Image Processing and
Visualization' on Wednesday, January  15th, 2014, at 1:15 PM, in Room
P-701 in the Paulinum, Augustusplatz.

The talk is given by

Vijay Natarajan
Associate Professor
Dept. of Computer Science and Automation
Supercomputer Education and Research Centre
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore

and is entitled

"Symmetry in Scalar Fields"

Abstract:

Several natural and man-made objects exhibit symmetry in different
forms, both in their geometry and in the material distribution. The
study of symmetry plays an important role in understanding both the
structure of these objects and their physical properties. The notion of
symmetry with respect to the geometry of an object or domain is well
understood. In this talk, I will introduce the problem of symmetry
detection in a scalar field. This refers to identifying regions within
the domain of a scalar field that remain invariant under geometric
transformations with respect to both the domain geometry and the scalar
values. Symmetry detection in scientific data is still a nascent area of
research and existing methods that detect symmetry are either not robust
in the presence of noise or are computationally costly.

I will present a recently developed method that detects symmetry in,
potentially noisy, 3D scalar fields without an explicit construction of
the corresponding geometric transformation. The key ingredient in the
algorithm is a data structure called the augmented extremum graph that
captures both topological and geometric properties of the scalar field.
I will also briefly discuss other methods that we have developed to
identify symmetric regions and also demonstrate applications to
symmetry-aware volume rendering, isosurface extraction, query-based
exploration, linked selection and volume editing.

http://vgl.serc.iisc.ernet.in

On behalf of Professor Scheuermann all those interested are cordially
invited to attend.

Yours sincerely,
Patrick Oesterling