[NLP2RDF] [Dbpedia-discussion] ANN: NLP Interchange Format (NIF) 1.0 Spec, Demo and Reference Implementation

Christian Chiarcos christian.chiarcos at web.de
Thu Dec 1 18:12:56 CET 2011

Hi Michael,

>> > Thanks. I guess the fact "not first person singular" cannot be rendered with
>> > any ontology that would be considered useful.
>> well, in OWL/DL, it would be something like
>> olia:hasNumber some olia_top:NumberFeature and olia:hasPerson some
>> olia_top:Person and
>> not (olia:hasNumber some olia:Singular and olia:hasPerson some olia:First)
>
> I did not know manchester syntax or class expressions so it took me a while to
> understand this. You are suggesting that I contruct the class above with OWL
> and then assert that a word is an instance of this class if it's agreement
> is not first person singular ?

Yes, "or", "and" and "not" translate to owl:unionOf,
owl:intersectionOf and owl:complementOf which introduce new OWL
classes, in this case an OWL class that requires that its instances
have an olia:hasNumber and an olia:hasPerson property but not first
person and singular at the same time. Constructing such classes is
part of the linking between an Annotation Model (representing the
annotation scheme, and here not1sg tag would be an individual) and the
OLiA Reference Model (where a not1sg-category would not be permitted,
because it is not a theoretically well-found concept).

>From the point of view of your own application, you can assign your
word the not1sg tag (or concept) in the Annotation Model, but this
would not be interoperable. If someone wants to use your annotations
without thinking too much about it, (s)he can work with the
interoperable categories in the OLiA Reference Model.

So, in OLiA there are three layers:
- Annotation Model: represents the original tagset, not interoperable,
but already OWL/RDF, e.g., penn.owl.
- Reference Model: interoperable categories, i.e., olia.owl
- Linking: interpretation of Annotation Model categories in terms of
the Reference Model. Assigns Annotation Model classes super-classes
provided by the Reference Model (plus OWL/DL operators), e.g.,
penn-link.rdf

Constructing classes as suggested before would be part of the Linking.

Best,
Christian