[NLP2RDF] UIMA and NIF, was Re: [Corpora-List] Announcement: NLP Interchange Format(NIF)

Sebastian Hellmann hellmann at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Sat Dec 10 19:00:42 CET 2011

Hello Siddhartha,
I am assuming that you are asking this question, because we all know that there is no such thing as a golden hammer. Neither RDBMS nor UIMA nor RDF nor NIF are able to be the right tool for every job.

There is a prototype for UIMA, which serialises POS tags as NIF. We are working on a generic output, also. (you are welcome to join) The model should be compatible, just give each annotated entity a NIF uri.
The link to the implementation can be found on the web demo or on the involved people page.

If you encounter any problems please tell. NIF and UIMA should play well together, there is just no mature implementation yet.

My idea to solve your question would be to serialize the relevant part of the current UIMA memory state as NIF, then send it to an OWL reasoner and then query for the inferences you want and add them to UIMA mem model again and continue.

Of course, it would be better to implement inference directly in UIMA. Maybe something already exists?

One of the design choices behind using OWL for NIF was the availability of mature (open-source) tools, so dozens of implementations and ontologies as background knowledge can be (re-) used.

The best way in my opinion would be to feed the ontologies used in NIF	(e.g. OLiA or NERD) into the	UIMA type system and then do reasoning directly in uima., somehow.

I am currently travelling and only have my mobile with me, sorry if answers are not so speedy. It will improve in a week,
Sebastian

--
Sent with my mobile phone, please excuse my brevity, Sebastian

Siddhartha Jonnalagadda <sid.kgp at gmail.com> wrote:

Hey Rich,

RDBMS is an industry standard that works well for some things such as storing the extracted metadata, but might not be optimal for performing reasoning over it. That might be one reason some people use other representations such as RDF/SPARQL for higher-level tasks. In general, storing everything in the Common Analysis Structure defined UIMA's type system works for me and where needed I could write them into a Database. What is the optimal way to represent the metadata for reasoning tasks? How could I transfer my UIMA CAS into that "thing"?

Sincerely,
Siddhartha Jonnalagadda, Ph.D.
sjonnalagadda.wordpress.com