[NLP2RDF] URIs for linguistic concepts

Sebastian Hellmann hellmann at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Wed Nov 13 16:37:46 CET 2013

Hi Nancy,

NIF follows the approach to reuse existing identifiers directly.
The NIF Core Ontology tries to fill the gaps, if no existing URIs are
available. The ontology can be found here:
http://persistence.uni-leipzig.org/nlp2rdf/ontologies/nif-core
(the URI does content negotiation so it redirects you to one format
under [1])

Actually, we only needed very few properties for NIF-Core. Everything
else is tackled by these Ontologies:
POS and Syntax: http://purl.org/olia
NERD: http://nerd.eurecom.fr/ontology
NER identifiers: http://dbpedia.org
Sentiment: http://marl.gi2mo.org/
lexicon and LMF: http://lemon-model.net/
ITS 2.0 http://www.w3.org/2005/11/its/rdf#
Openannotation: http://www.w3.org/ns/oa#
FISE: http://fise.iks-project.eu/ontology/

Instead of recreating that effort the NLP2RDF project will provide
support and help for these projects.
We are working on including the ontologies here:
https://github.com/NLP2RDF/ontologies/tree/master/vm
(via git submodules)

If you are planning to create your own identifiers, please don't use a
namespace which is persistent. e.g. http://lapps.anc.org
<http://lapps.anc.org/web-service-exchange-protocols/> contains the
project name "lapps". So if LAPPS ends, will the URIs you create still
be valid for the next ten or twenty years?

All the best,
Sebastian

[1]
Turtle:
http://persistence.uni-leipzig.org/nlp2rdf/ontologies/nif-core/nif-core.ttl
XML:
http://persistence.uni-leipzig.org/nlp2rdf/ontologies/nif-core/nif-core.owl
HTML:
http://persistence.uni-leipzig.org/nlp2rdf/ontologies/nif-core/nif-core.html

Am 05.11.2013 19:50, schrieb Nancy Ide:
> I'm working within an ISO working group on exchange protocols for NLP
> web services (http://lapps.anc.org/web-service-exchange-protocols/) to
> come up with a repository (and possibly also an ontology) of relevant
> terms/objects passed around among NLP web services (a bit like ISOCat
> but much simpler, and including some things ISOCat does not). We are
> using JSON-LD for exchange among tools, and we need URIs for the terms
> that can be referenced from the JSON-LD representations. Is there any
> set of rules for forming such URIs and the descriptions that go with
> them? I have been looking at "Cool URIs for the Semantic Web"
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/) but it's not clear to me how this
> would translate into a setup for the repo, unless the hash strategy
> simply means I can put several terms on a page and use the hash to
> reference them separately.
>
> Any thoughts on this would be most welcome. BTW we expect we will
> duplicate some terms from other repositories, and would have a
> "same-as" or "similar-to" link to the other instances. For now we just
> want to get everything in one place for development purposes.

> *Nancy Ide
> Professor of Computer Science
>
> Department of Computer Science
> Vassar College