[OpenWalnut-Dev] neuro debian

Ralph Schurade schurade at cbs.mpg.de
Mon Feb 14 21:06:10 CET 2011

Hi folks,

I've been been contacted by someone who said he's one of the
lead developers of neuro debian. He somehow found fibernavigator

Hi Schurade,

I am a lead developer of NeuroDebian (http://neuro.debian.net).  Have
run across your project today and wondered if it is still alive and
supported (last vital signs were 1/2 year ago).

in any case -- just wanted to ping first ;)

Cheers,

so I answered him that it is kinda dead and told him about our
OpenWalnut,

Hi Yaroslaw,

fibernavigator is done and there is no further development on it. It was more like a proof
of concept implementation for my diploma thesis. Maxime Descoteaux
had some students of his add some features and you can find the results here
http://code.google.com/p/imn697-fibernavigator/

However for the last two years me and a few colleagues from the University of Leipzig
have been working on a new project called OpenWalnut.

You can find info at http://berkeley.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/trac/ow-public/
That project is also open source as the name suggests and includes most fibernavigator
features and more. That one is under active development and will be maintained for
quite a few years to come. The license is LGPL. I'd have to talk to the other people
but I'm pretty sure we would be happy about a wider audience.

Regards, Ralph

to which he replied

Hi Ralph,

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011, Ralph Schurade wrote:
>    However for the last two years me and a few colleagues from the
>    University of Leipzig
>    have been working on a new project called OpenWalnut.
>    You can find info
>    at[2]http://berkeley.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/trac/ow-public/

Sounds interesting indeed!  I am yet to try it out (tried fiber
navigator, but with a random NIFTI 3D volume it was quite choppy on my
laptop :-/ )

>    development and will be maintained for quite a few years to come.
>    The license is LGPL. I'd have to talk to the other people but I'm
>    pretty sure we would be happy about a wider audience.

;-)

since I am not sure if we would take care about packaging right away, I
just filed an RFP (request for packaging) to Debian bug tracking
system (you should have received a copy).  Also, as of speaking, adding
it to Debian-Med Imaging task page (should appear whenever daily job
regenerates the page): http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/imaging

BTW -- what OS are you using internally? any of you is Debian/Ubuntu
user? may be him/her would like to take care about Debian packaging, we
could provide mentorship and sponsorship to get it accepted into
mainline Debian (and thus Ubuntu) and provide packages for all recent
Debian/Ubuntu releases available from our repository.  Please just share
with the group -- may be someone would get interested.

Also, I see that you are interfacing to CNT format for EEGLAB.  May be
you would like to have a look at BioSig4c++ project
http://biosig.sourceforge.net/ which provides IO interface to quite
a big collection of the formats -- would help your project to become
more versatile.

Cheers

I think it's a good thing to get included there. So maybe you Linux/Debian/Ubuntu
folks have some input here.

---
Ralph Schurade

Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences
Stephanstrasse 1a
P.O. Box 500355
04103 Leipzig
Germany