[OpenWalnut-Dev] Permanent tickets

Sebastian Eichelbaum eichelbaum at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Wed Sep 21 13:27:36 CEST 2011

I am not fully convinced with this idea. It is too strict. We simply cannot provide tickets for everything. And it is also not reasonable to create a ticket for your small change, commit with this ticket number, and 10 seconds later: close the ticket again. To make a compromise, I introduced some über-tickets, which cover the major goals of our project. We need to keep the number of über-tickets small, so that everyone in our group can remember them easily (even me, who is not able to remember its own birthday ;-)). The cool thing is, Redmine supports this kind of tickets. With Redmine, we can directly associate tickets to one of the über-tickets (Parent-ticket feature). This allows the project manager and release manager to have a fast overview on the project status by using these über-tickets. We should also be aware, that not every ticket can be assigned to one of the über-tickets since they cover a different thing.

To conclude this

* we will not introduce place-holder tickets for everything
** it is not feasible
* we will use _some_ über-tickets which represent some MAJOR topics
** we will keep the number of über-tickets small (everyone should know about these 5 or something tickets)
** we should cover the following über-ticket-topics (since they are important for the project):
*** Portability
*** Doc and Style (#42)
*** Module stability (including module deletion crash stuff)
*** Module features (this is especially useful for user feature requests)
*** Framework stability
*** Framework improvement (including features, optimizations and so on)
*** Infrastructure
* we assign our standard tickets to über-tickets IFF reasonable
* we use über-ticket numbers for commits IFF no direct ticket exists AND the commit matches the über-ticket's topic
* we accept the fact that not every commit can be categorized into these über-tickets

I will create these tickets now and assign our existing tickets to them.

Bye
Sebastian