[W12.bis.dssnp] Semweb and FreedomBox

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Di Dez 11 20:42:12 CET 2012

Quoting Sebastian Tramp (2012-12-11 19:04:13)
> On Sun, Dec 09, 2012 at 09:09:48PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
> > I have nodejs backported to wheezy at http://debian.jones.dk but
> > only for i386 and amd64 for now - would it be helpful for you guys
> > that I make a backport for armhf too, or do you use sid for your
> > work?
>
> Currently I am on wheezy and I use the package provided by cannellony
> in our practical git repository [1]
>
> > Will you be doing your developing on Debian Sid, or will you need
> > backports for Wheezy?
>
> Not decided yet. I think we will start thinking about packaging in a
> later stage.

Oh.  I thought you would use Debian.

> > I recommend you to work on Sid, and then only later - when your code
> > stabilizes - consider backporting to Wheezy for wider consumption.
> > But please do tell me if for some reason you need everything in
> > Wheezy early on - then I shall try do my best to provide it.
>
> thank you but the development of dssn.js is in a really early stage.
> this means everything can change quickly and we do not want to waste
> your time. Am I right that you ask for dependencies which we would
> otherwise install with npm?

Time spent getting reusable parts long-term sustainable by integrating
with Debian is hardly wasted.

If you use project a and b today, but move to project c and d tomorrow,
then you are right that it might be "waste" of my time, but if you mean
that you need bleeding edge versions of fast-moving projects a and b,
then it is not wasteful.

> > Please also tell me if you need some help using Node - e.g. if you
> > need some Node libraries not yet packaged officially for Debian, or
> > have trouble figuring out how to best structure and package your own
> > code as a packaged daemon.
>
> ok

I can most likely not help you if you base your work on non-Debian Node.

Nick Daly and Bdale Garbee found it "good enough" for them to use a
shell script for generating their FreeodmBox images - even if that meant
it is hard for others like you to hook into from odd angles.

Seems to be you do similar by using non-Debian Node and rely on NPM. :-(

Good luck with your project,

 - Jonas